How can I be green at Christmas?
Christmas can be a time of excess and over-consumption. Check out our festive tips which won't cost the earth.
Did you know?
3 million tonnes of waste is dumped during Christmas in the UK.
- Try flea markets, antique jewellery and vintage shops for gifts.
- Give local, organic hampers, locally-brewed beer or organic wine.
- Make chutneys, cakes, flavoured oils or chocolates.
- Treat people to theatre tickets.
- Give 'Save Cash and Save the Planet' by Friends of the Earth.
- Re-use bags when buying presents.
Food and drink
- Buy seasonal, local produce and loose not pre-packed vegetables.
- Avoid using disposable plates and cups.
- Compost vegetable leftovers.
- Re-use and recycle aluminium foil.
Trees, cards and wrapping
- Recycle any cards you receive.
- Send a Friends of the Earth Christmas E-card.
- Choose cards and wrapping which are recycled (e.g. from the Friends of the Earth shop) .
- Check that your council recycle real trees.