What action has Friends of the Earth taken to improve the environmental quality at head office?
- A new condensing boiler was installed
- The roof was resurfaced and insulated with cork and environmentally friendly materials
- A refurbishment of the basement used materials chosen for their minimal environmental impact
- Thermostatically controlled ceiling fans installed to distribute heat and cooling economically
- Motion sensors for stairwell lighting installed
- Zone valves installed to automatically regulate the temperature on each floor separately
- All fridges replaced with ‘A class’ energy efficiency models
- All light bulbs replaced with energy efficient light bulbs
- Replaced broken radiator valves
- Dual-flush toilets installed as well as Eco-cubes in urinals and “hippos” in all toilet cisterns
- We also purchase 100% renewable electricity from a supplier that guarantees that purchase leads to increased investment in renewable sources.
Environmental Monitoring Programme:
- We monitor our electricity, gas, water, paper use, travel and waste
- We collect data and set reduction targets at our Head Office and main regional offices
- We set up an internal Green Challenge Team that encourages changes in staff behaviour, eg. reminding staff to switch off their monitors while away from desks