40 handy lemon tips
Cleaning solutions and beauty tips for natural (and cheap) recipes you can try at home.
These tips have been contributed by volunteers from Sparked.com
Friends of the Earth can't claim to have tried all of the tips ourselves, but they're based on commonly accepted wisdom. You might want to exercise caution with tips involving ingesting lemon juice or applying it to the skin, especially if you have persistent medical conditions.
Health & Beauty
1. Hair - For extra shine, dilute 1 tsp lemon juice in a cup of water, and use to rinse your hair after shampooing.
2. Hands - Remove smells and stains with a rub of lemon juice.
3. Nails - Whiten fingernails with a rub from a wedge of lemon.
4. Rough elbows - Hold your elbow in half a lemon for a few mins, then rinse.
5. Spots - Wet a paper towel with lemon juice and apply to help treat spots and blackheads.
6. Hand wash - Make your own liquid handwash
7. Exfoliating body scrub - Mix chopped lemon peel, half a cup of sugar and olive oil into a paste. Use to exfoliate rough areas of skin such as feet.
8. Minor wounds - Dab with lemon juice to disinfect scratches and scrapes. It might sting a bit!
9. Travel sickness - Suck on a slice of lemon to help you stop feeling nauseous.
10. Laxative - Mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice and warm water, then drink.
11. Sore throat & coughs - Mix 2 tsp of lemon juice with half a tsp of honey and drink. Or mix juice and honey with hot tea.
12. Wasp stings - apply lemon juice for relief.
13. Dandruff - Mix 2 tbsp lemon juice in 2 cups of water and rinse after shampooing
14. Stained plastic - Rub plastic containers or tupperware with lemon juice to help shift food stains.
15. Stains - Remove stains from wooden chopping boards and cloths. Mix lemon juice with water, apply and rinse.
16. Mirrors - Mix 2 tbsp lemon juice with half a gallon of water for an effective mirror cleaner.
17. Grease - Straight lemon juice acts as a general degreaser.
18. Stains - Clean copper and brass with salt and lemon juice (three parts salt to one juice).
19. Microwave - Add lemon slice to small bowl of water, then microwave for 5 minutes and wipe clean.
20. Grater - Remove dried food from your grater by rubbing with the pulp side of a cut lemon.
21. Polish - Make furniture polish from 1 part lemon juice and 2 parts cooking oil.
22. All-purpose cleaner - mix equal parts lemon juice and water in a spray bottle.
23. Taps - Cut lemon into slices and leave on limescale stains around taps for 10 mins (or as long as overnight). Scrub with old toothbrush and rinse.
24. Toilet - Use lemon juice to help clean dirty toilets.
25. Windows - Make your own eco friendly window cleaner.
26. Dishes - Instead of washing up liquid, try soaking a cloth / sponge in lemon juice, give them a scrub, then rinse in warm water.
27. Mildew - Rub stained clothes with a lemon and leave in the sun for 12 hours or more.
28. Rust - Remove stains from clothes by applying lemon juice and dry under a hot sun.
29. Whiter whites - Mix lemon juice with water to whiten whites.
30. Fresh smell - A tsp of lemon juice added to your wash will make clothes smell fresher.
31. Firelighters - After cooking, use residual oven heat to bake discarded orange or lemon peels until they darken. These create natural, fragrant firelighters.
32. Pot pourri - Dry peels to add to your pot pourri.
33. Fridge - Cut lemon in half and let it absorb fridge smells.
34. Bins - Throw lemon peel in the bin from time to time to keep it smelling fresh.
35. Odour - Neutralise the smell of vinegar-based cleaning products with a small amount of juice.
Food and drink
36. Cut waste #1 - Waste less of your lemon by cutting into quarters / slices, and freeze until you need them.
37. Cut waste #2 - 'Massage' your lemon or roll it in your hands before you squeeze it to get more juice out.
38. Make food last longer - Add a squeeze of lemon to cut fruit, home made juice and salads to help them stay fresh longer.
39. Salad - For a simple, cheap and healthy dressing, blend lemon juice and olive oil.
40. Lemonade - Put juice from 3 lemons and water in blender and liquidise. Add sugar to taste. Strain, add ice and serve.
Love our tips?
Read 40 handy honey tips.