GM farmers pull out of trials23 March 2000
The Government's GM farm scale trials are in disarray after two farmers, due to take part in the scheme, said that they would not participate.
SCIMAC, the industry body organising the trials has confirmed that two sites have pulled out. They are at Friskney Tofts, Lincolnshire and at Ulleskelf, Yorkshire.
"These GM trials are descending into farce. On Friday we were told that contracts had been signed for 31 Farm Scale Trials. It now appears that at least two of these are not going ahead. How many sites does the Government have?" said Friends of the Earth Biotechnology Campaigner Pete Riley.
"We urge other farmers considering taking part in the trials to think again. These trials threaten the environment and the livelihoods of neighbouring farmers. And if GM pollution does occur farmers may find themselves liable for any damage."
Get these updates first
If you would like these news updates to be emailed to you as soon as they come out, then join our real food mailing list.
Register Here
News


