Nick Clegg challenged at public meeting in Sheffield
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg came under pressure to strengthen the Energy Bill at a public meeting in his constituency.
The meeting was organised by Sheffield Friends of the Earth and the Stop Climate Chaos coalition.
Over 200 people were there to question their local MP about fuel poverty, landlords renting out dangerously cold homes and local renewable energy projects.
We will legislate to ensure every tenant has the right to make a request for energy-efficiency measures to be installed.
Other speakers included Craig Bennett (Friends of the Earth's Campaigns Director) and Martin Kirk (Head of Campaigns at Oxfam).
Craig Bennett challenged Nick Clegg to ensure the Energy Bill:
- requires every council to have a plan to help communities go green
- protects tenants from cold energy-leaking homes by 2016
- puts in place a plan for every home to be insulated.
I totally accept we should do more.
A stronger Energy Bill will lead to:
- big cuts in climate changing emissions
- warmer homes and cheaper fuel bills
- tens of thousands of new jobs.
Get involved locally
Find your nearest Friends of the Earth group and get involved in your own community.
© Beatrice Greenfield