Bees pollinate three-quarters of the world's most important crops. But they're under threat. This booklet offers a glimpse into the amazing world of bees - and suggests what how we can help save them.
What's the problem?
They may be tiny but bees are essential to a healthy environment and healthy economy. We rely on them and other insects to pollinate most of our fruit and vegetables - it would cost UK farmers £1.8 billion a year to pollinate their crops without bees.
But bees are under threat and without them so is our food and economy. Friends of the Earth is encouraging people to make their gardens, streets and communities bee-friendly and take action to get the Government's support for bees too.
How you can help
This booklet reveals 20 things you need to know, including some simple but important ways you can help Britain's bees.
- Learn essential facts about our brilliant British bees.
- Create a bee-friendly environment, even if you don't have a garden.
- Grow bee-friendly plants for every season.
- Support local bee keepers by buying their honey, beeswax candles and other products.
- Find out how to organise a bee walk or bee breakfast.
- Learn more with our handy directory of bee-related resources including websites, films, books and sanctuaries.
Want to do more? Get our Bee Saver Kit - includes wildflower seeds, garden planner, bee identification guide and more.
Need a printed copy?
- Download this printer friendly version - 20 things you need to know about bees
- Print your own
Please print in black (rather than colour) to save ink, and in booklet format to save paper. Follow these simple instructions.
- Order printed copies
Please contact us - don't forget to let us know the title and quantity you would like.