Archived press release
Go to our press releases area for our current press releases.
Emergency services contradict minister over Newbury violence
26 February 1996
The Police and Fire Brigade are at odds with Roads Minister John Watts over allegations of "violent protesters" and "hoax phone calls" by opponents of the Newbury bypass.
In a letter to the Reading Evening Post Mr Watts said "The criminals at Newbury are the violent protesters who commit aggravated tresspass, assault on (sic) security guards and contractors, cut brake pipes on coaches carrying workmen with total disregard for their safety" [1]. However, Ian Blair,Deputy Chief Constable of Thames Valley Police, said on BBC Radio on Thursday (22 February) night: "So far there has been very little violence".
Mr Watts also claims that "the latest tactic has been hoax telephone calls to the fire service, potentially putting in danger the lives of families involved in real fire emergencies". The Regional Fire brigade say they are unaware of any such hoax calls.
Tony Juniper of Friends of the Earth said:
"We are getting used to unfounded allegations from politicians. Having lost the arguments about the need for the Newbury bypass, Ministers are now desperately seeking to mislead the public in a bid to restore their own credibility. Following the Scott Inquiry we would expect Ministers to be more careful about what they say"
NOTES TO EDITORS:
[1] The vast majority of those arrested have been arrested under the Criminal Justice Act for Aggravated Trespass. Those arrested have not been done so for violence. Indeed one of those arrested under this Act was a pantomime cow. An allegation' was made that that a brake cable was cut on a coach. The police investigated, but have not confirmed whether the cable was cut or not.
If you're a journalist looking for press information please contact the Friends of the Earth media team on 020 7566 1649.
Published by Friends of the Earth Trust
Last modified: Sep 2008



