Press release
Minister slammed for saying communities decide whether to host shale gas sites

Responding to Energy Minister Michael Fallon’s extraordinary assertion today (Wednesday 7 August 2013) that ‘it's for local communities to decide whether they want to host shale gas exploration’, Friends of the Earth’s Policy and Campaigns Director, Craig Bennett said:

“If communities can decide whether to allow shale gas and oil exploration on their doorstep, why is drilling taking place at Balcombe despite overwhelming local opposition?

“Government planning guidance issued last month actually makes it harder for local councils to refuse shale gas and oil drilling.

“If Ministers continue to ignore growing concerns in the countryside over fracking, communities may be forced to make their voices heard at the ballot box.”

Ends

1. Mr Fallon reportedly said today: "It's for local communities to decide whether they want to host shale gas exploration. These are planning decisions which will first of all be taken locally and it's up to the developer to engage early with local communities and explain to everybody what they're planning to do."
2. Govt planning guidance on fracking slammed – Friends of the Earth press release: http://foe.co.uk/resource/press_releases/govt_planning_guidence_on_fracking_slammed_19072013.html
3. Last week the Prime Ministers spokesperson said Mr Cameron believes that more needs to be done to promote the benefits of fracking but it should only be carried out if there is "no risk" to the environment.

If you're a journalist looking for press information please contact the Friends of the Earth media team on 020 7566 1649.

Published by Friends of the Earth Trust