Tweet

Archived press release


Go to our press releases area for our current press releases.

New A303 widening plans will damage Stonehenge site

23 January 2006

Friends of the Earth reacted angrily to Government proposals today (Monday 23 January) outlining five different options for widening the A303 trunk road next to the Stonehenge World Heritage Site. Only one of the five schemes being put forward does not involve major permanent damage to protected land surrounding Britain's best known ancient monument, the environmental campaign group said, while three of the ideas have already been rejected once before.

Even the one less damaging option is presented as only a "partial" solution, raising fears that road-building across the site will be pursued in due course.

The Government had previously argued that a 2.1 km bored tunnel was the preferable solution, but costs then rose dramatically, triggering the current review [1].

Friends of the Earth's South West Regional Campaigner, Mike Birkin, said:

"The choices on the table are not new and they are still not acceptable. The choice seems to be between damaging this valuable World Heritage Site now or damaging it later.

Friends of the Earth is worried that the consultation, which begins today, will be no more than a rubber-stamping exercise to clear the way for future road-building. The group points out that the Government is pursuing plans for a new M6 expressway despite a consultation showing 98% of respondents did not want it [2].

Mike Birkin said,

"The Government seems intent on turning the clock back, dredging up old road schemes and pushing on regardless. Is this really the same Government as professes concern for the climate.? Yet at Stonehenge it continues to promote more tarmac, encouraging yet more people to get into their cars."

Notes

[1] According to today's press release from the Department for Transport, "the cost of the new road has risen significantly since the Inquiry [in 2004] and this has prompted Ministers to request a review of the scheme to identify lower cost options."

www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/fullDetail.asp? ¬
ReleaseID=184888&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

[2] M6 Expressway: 98% Against, 19th July 2005

If you're a journalist looking for press information please contact the Friends of the Earth media team on 020 7566 1649.

Tweet

Published by Friends of the Earth Trust

 

 

Last modified: Jun 2008