Pedal for the planet - Big Green Bike Ride 2014
***Free hi-res photos from Big Green Bike Ride 2013 are available***
Friends of the Earth announced today details of its third annual Big Green Bike Ride. Cyclists will pedal from the bustle of London to the tranquillity of the New Forest on Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 May 2014.
The weekend cycle challenge will cover 120 miles in two days. The bespoke route will wind through Surrey and Hampshire taking in lush countryside and picturesque villages before reaching the ancient woodlands of the New Forest National Park.
Throughout the weekend riders will be treated to locally-sourced food along the route, before resting their heads in a ready-made campsite amongst the ancient woodlands of the New Forest.
On Saturday evening riders will be wined and dined with a vegetarian barbeque accompanied with a glass or two of locally brewed real ale. They’ll also enjoy entertainment including a zip wire and performance by a local band.
Participants will be raising money for the environment charity Friends of the Earth to continue campaigning for a healthy planet for us all.
Friends of the Earth Director of Fundraising Joe Jenkins said:
“This is no ordinary cycle ride, with added food, evening entertainment and a zip wire thrown in for good measure, we’re going to have plenty of fun and raise money for Friends of the Earth too.
“I really hope people get involved – I’d urge you to get on your bike and sign up as soon as possible to guarantee a place on the cycle ride.”
David Scott, a music composer from London who took part in the last Big Green Bike Ride raising £1400 along with a friend, said:
“Friendly staff, beautiful scenery, vital cause – I had a great time and really enjoyed the challenge.
“I'm already looking forward to Big Green Bike Ride 2014.”
Day 1: London to the New Forest, 85 miles
Experience the pretty lanes of Surrey and Hampshire leading to the New Forest.
Day 2: Explore the New Forest, 35 miles
Explore the heather-covered heath and ancient woodland of this unique corner of the British countryside.
Notes to Editors
- Big Green Bike Ride, 17 and 18 May 2014
- Those interested in taking part can sign up for both days or choose one day on the website: www.biggreenbikeride.co.uk
- The deadline for signing up to the Bike Ride is Friday 9 May 2014
- Free hi-res photos from Big Green Bike Ride 2013 available, please contact the press office on 0207 566 1649.
- Riders will be backed up by medical and mechanical support. Luggage transfer and food provided.
- The first Big Green Bike Ride was a six day ride from London to Edinburgh a route of over 500 miles, from 6 to 11 May 2012.
If you're a journalist looking for press information please contact the Friends of the Earth media team on 020 7566 1649.