Press release
Shale: Sussex test drilling planned for Saturday

Commenting on Cuadrilla’s plans to start test drilling for shale oil in Balcombe, West Sussex this Saturday (27 July 2013), Friends of the Earth South East Regional Campaigner Brenda Pollack said:

“Drilling in the Home Counties brings the threat of fracking geographically and politically closer to Westminster.

“Government plans to give drilling firms tax breaks and a virtual planning carte blanche highlights its determination to push ahead – Ministers must now be prepared for real resistance from their own heartlands.

“Shale gas and oil are not the solution to our energy challenges. They threaten local communities, pollute our atmosphere and there’s plenty of evidence they won’t bring down fuel prices.

“It’s time to end the nation’s costly addiction to dirty fossil fuels and build a clean future based on energy efficiency and harnessing the power of the wind, waves and sun.”

ENDS

Notes to editors:

1. Letter from Cuadrilla to West Sussex County Council saying “drilling is currently programmed to start on the 27July 2013".

2. Last week the Government announced plans to encourage shale gas extraction through tax breaks and changes to planning guidance.

3. Last month, following pressure from Friends of the Earth, the Environment Agency told Cuadrilla it must obtain a mining waste permit and a radioactive substances permit before it can carry out test drilling at Balcombe.

4. A Friends of the Earth briefing on shale gas is available here.

5. Friends of the Earth has published an interactive map showing areas of the UK currently licensed and under consideration for licensing.

If you're a journalist looking for press information please contact the Friends of the Earth media team on 020 7566 1649.

Published by Friends of the Earth Trust