Archived press release
Vince Cable undermines his support for low carbon economy
Commenting on Vince Cable’s speech at the Liberal Democrat annual conference today, Friends of the Earth's Economics Campaigner David Powell said:
“Vince Cable is right to slam assaults on renewable energy as ‘ludicrous’ – the CBI have been crystal clear that the UK’s economic recovery must hinge on low-carbon power.
“But the Business Secretary’s support for a low carbon economy is undermined by a Green Investment Bank that can’t borrow and a set of industrial strategies that confusingly support both fossil fuels and wind power.
“Mr Cable’s policies suffer from the same lack of clear green direction as those of his party.
“By supporting fracking and ducking clean electricity targets, the Lib Dems risk sending jobs overseas as low-carbon investment goes elsewhere.”
Notes to editors:
1. In July 2013 the National Audit Office criticised the Government’s suite of industrial strategies as lacking an “overarching commitment to ensure that the industrial strategy promotes green growth.”
2. Lib Dem nuclear power support punches hole in green credentials - Friends of the Earth press release.
3. Plastic bag charge welcome, but let's not get carried away - Friends of the Earth press release.
4. Lib Dems must stand up for the environment, writes Friends of the Earth’s Executive Director in Lib Dem Voice.
5. A report published on Friday (13 September 2013) by seven leading charities, including Friends of the Earth, assessing the environmental performance of the four main parties since the general election, concluded that the Liberal Democrats “have failed to make the environment central to their governing project” and “they are subsequently losing their identity as a ‘green party’.”
If you're a journalist looking for press information please contact the Friends of the Earth media team on 020 7566 1649.