Can I do up my house in an environmentally responsible way?
Yes, green DIY is easy and effective.
- Repair or re-use. See Salvo for information on reclaimed and salvaged material.
- Most large stores stock Forest Stewardship Council-certified products - where the wood is from a managed source. Although Friends of the Earth no longer recommends the FSC trademark, it is the best-known standard set for new wood.
- Household paints can give off dangerous fumes as they dry. Try water-based paints which contain fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Some furnishing materials are made from recycled sources - see the Buy Recycled list.
The books listed below will help you with ideas and solutions for greening your DIY activities — all available from the Friends of the Earth Shop:
- How Can I Stop Climate Change?
- Good Wood Guide
- Don't Throw It All Away
- Save Cash Save the Planet
For further ideas and information, please see:
- Our Lifestyle pages
- George Marshall's energy-efficiency project
- The Association for Environment Conscious Building (AECB) for a list of alternative products.
Why not find out if second-hand shops, charities or friends can take any unwanted materials?