Skip to main content

Friends of the Earth > Local Groups > Nottingham Friends of the Earth

Nottingham to be incinerator capital of East Midlands? (Jan 2011)

Articulated lorries could soon be bringing waste from transfer stations around the region to Nottingham’s incinerator at Eastcroft. Rutland have already agreed to send some of their waste, according to incinerator operator WRG.

WRG will shortly be asking permission to increase throughput of lorries and waste at the Eastcroft incinerator. They told a recent community liaison meeting:

  • Nottingham City Council will soon be asked for planning permission to allow articulated lorries to bring waste from transfer stations around the region.
  • The Environment Agency will be asked to increase permitted throughput of the existing two furnaces from 160,000 tonnes p.a. to 200,000 tonnes.

This will then be followed by installing a third line by 2013 to increase capacity to 300,000 tpa (for which permission was granted by a planning inquiry in 2009). WRG are already considering a fourth line to take capacity to 400,000 tpa.

This is at a time that recycling is increasing while total waste from households and businesses is reducing.

 

WRG have claimed that the increased waste will come from commercial and industrial waste. But Veolia who operate an incinerator in Sheffield have found that commercial waste is not suitable for an incinerator. They are asking for permission to take household waste from a much larger area including parts of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

Both Nottingham and Sheffield incinerators are highly inefficient. Sheffield’s converts around 17% of energy in the waste to electricity exported to the grid, and a further 18% to heat exported to a district heating network – a total of 35% energy usefully recovered. That is probably the UK’s most efficient municipal waste incinerator.

Nottingham’s incinerator recovers even less energy – in 2007 around 10% of energy in waste was exported as electricity to the grid plus 2% to a private grid serving city centre premises including the Ice Stadium. A further 21% was distributed as heat to paying customers. So a total of around 33% of energy was usefully recovered. (See our separate page for details.)

Sheffield’s incinerator pumps out around 170,000 tonnes CO2 p.a. and Nottingham’s nearly 150,000 tonnes. That works out at over 1,000 grams CO2 per kW hour compared to around 500g CO2 per kWh for average grid electricity and 200g CO2 per kWh for gas heating.