9 benefits of recycling
There are many benefits of recycling - both environmental and economic.
- Conserves the world’s natural resources, which are in short supply.
- Protects natural ecosystems and wildlife.
- Protects vulnerable people from being displaced or exploited.
- Saves energy. Recycling aluminium uses 95% less energy to produce. Recycled paper uses 40% less.
- Reduces carbon emissions by up to 4.5 million tonnes each year in England and Wales – equal to 55 billion kilometres of vehicle travel.
- Reduces land fill - which pollutes soil and water, and uses valuable space.
- Reduces incineration, which generates high carbon emissions, and wastes valuable resources.
- Cheaper than waste collection and disposal
- Creates jobs
Friends of the Earth supports the ‘three Rs’
So, whilst recycling helps reduce the amount of waste we produce, the best thing to do is reduce the amount we use in the first place.
Get quick tips on how to recycle.