A Marvellous, Meaty, Mushroom Recipe for Meat Free May
If you're planning a Meat Free May, this easy cardamom-flavoured mushroom curry is a great place to start.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
This recipe gives mushrooms a tasty aromatic twist - great for spicing up your evening. Author Troth Wells recommends using green cardamoms rather than black cardamoms as they have a subtler flavour.
Inspired to try a meat free month? Join us for Meat Free May and we'll keep you stocked up with recipes all month long.
- 8 cups / 400 g mushrooms, sliced finely
- 1 onion, sliced finely
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2-4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped finely
- ¼ fresh chili, de-seeded and sliced finely, or ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- seeds from 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro/coriander, chopped
- ½ cup / 120 ml tomato juice or water
- oil (or ghee is good non-vegan alternative)
- Start by heating the fat and cooking the onion until it is translucent. Then put in the garlic and the mushrooms and sauté these until they begin to soften.
- After that, add the tomatoes, ginger, chili powder, cardamoms and garam masala, the cilantro/coriander leaves and salt. Stir these in well.
- Finally, pour in the water or juice and cook gently for 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms are very soft.
Serve with rice or chapatis.
Taken from the exciting new cookbook 'The Small Planet Vegetarian Cookbook' by Troth Wells. Take a look and find out how you can create delicious global flavours using low-impact, plant-based ingredients that are kind to the planet.