A clear message for Rio: community energy is best
International energy experts made their message clear: communities are key to clean energy.
Energy practitioners and policy makers attended this year's Ashden Awards Conference to showcase their work and take part in discussions.
Their responses were clear:
Community involvement is key to providing clean energy...
- Projects showed community ownership of energy projects increases enthusiasm for renewables and climate change awareness.
- Inspiring examples, such as this Indonesian project, demonstrated the power and success of community involvement in energy projects.
...but it also needs Government support
- Clean community energy can be supported and increased with the right government policies.
- Feed-in tariffs (FiTs) are a good example of this, and have been supported by Friends of the Earth both in the UK, and internationally.
- Government support for community-focused FiTs can fight both poverty and climate change.
A clear message for governments and the UN in Rio
We hope that this message will ring out loud and clear in Rio.