Support is growing for Transforming the Treasury
We think our economic and finance system should be run to put people and the planet first.
That makes the UK Treasury – which holds the purse strings and sets economic policy for the Government – hugely important.
The Treasury needs a new priority to ensure UK economic and financial policy:
- enhances wellbeing
- delivers a low-carbon and resource-efficient UK economy
- rapidly moves the UK economy to within its fair share of sustainable environmental limits.
Public statement: the need for a new priority for Treasury
Our call for a new priority for Treasury is supported by a wide range of organisations. To sign your organisation up, see below.
Our organisations believe that the only viable route for the UK economy is one built around economic, social and environmental sustainability.
A key priority for the next Government is to ensure that the economy is
- focused on enhancing the wellbeing of all
- delivering on a proudly low-carbon and resource-efficient agenda, and
- moving the UK rapidly to living within its fair share of sustainable environmental limits.
The role of the Treasury
The Treasury has two vital functions for the delivery of overall Government political priorities: overseeing both spending and long-term economic policy.
No programme for Government can be meaningfully implemented without the proactive and engaged support of the Treasury.
Whatever the identity of the next UK Government, it must as a matter of priority:
- Give the Treasury a priority objective, embedded at the very top of its business plan, to ensure UK economic and financial policy enhances wellbeing, delivering a low-carbon and resource-efficient UK economy, and rapidly ensuring the UK economy lives within its fair share of sustainable environmental limits.
- Create the new ministerial post of ‘Sustainability Secretary to the Treasury’ with the specific and sole function of delivering upon the above, including conducting an immediate review of the Treasury’s fitness for delivering on this.
Organisations supporting the statement:
- Friends of the Earth England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Foundation (UKSIF)
- New Economics Foundation
- Social Economy Alliance
- Move your Money
- Cooperatives UK
- Preventable Surprises
- CHEM Trust
- Community Reinvest
- Abundance Generation
- Network of Wellbeing
- Ecology Building Society
- Steady State Manchester
Add your support
If your organisation would like to add its name to this statement, please enter your details below.