Archived press release
Young Friends of the Earth launch Meat Free May
Today, Young Friends of the Earth launches Meat Free May (Wednesday 16 April 2014), which challenges the public to give up meat and fish for one month, while raising vital funds for Friends of the Earth.
With increasing awareness that we need to change our dietary habits for our health and our planet, Meat Free May is a motivating challenge that will help participants to experience how easy it can be to eat less and better meat and fish and that there are great nutritious alternatives available.
Friends of the Earth Executive Director Andy Atkins challenged himself to a meat-free January earlier this year, he said:
“We want people to give up meat and fish for the month of May, and at the same time to raise money through sponsorship for our valuable campaigning work.
“I hope that once people sign up and experience how easy it is to change their diets, and the many benefits, they’ll eat less meat and fish after the challenge comes to an end.
“The long-term solution is for us all to choose to eat less, but better quality, meat, and fish from sustainable stocks – what better way to try out new recipes than through a fun challenge.”
Friends of the Earth is supporting this event as almost 15 percent of all greenhouse gases emitted every year come from meat production, and overfishing is a major concern for the health of our oceans and marine ecosystems.
Anyone over the age of 18 can sign up to Meat Free May. Once signed up, participants receive two helpful support packs with information on meal planning, nutrition, and delicious recipes; as well as background information on the environmental impacts of livestock production and overfishing. The second pack has helpful tips on how to raise sponsorship money.
Notes to Editors
- From today (Wednesday 16 April 2014) people can sign up to Meat Free May to receive fundraising support packs to help them plan meals and raise sponsorship money here: www.foe.co.uk/meatfreemay
- @MeatFreeMay will be tweeting meat-free recipes and other tips throughout May.
- Meat Free May was the winning idea of student Jannat Hossain for a competition Friends of the Earth first ran in 2013:
- Find out more about Jannat’s story here: http://www.foe.co.uk/green-blog/how-winning-food-competition-leading-me-towards-new-career
- The Meat Free May logo is available to download here: http://photolibrary.foe.co.uk/?c=914&k=80ce61873a
- Young Friends of the Earth is environment charity Friends of the Earth’s network for young supporters. For more information about them please see here:
- Friends of the Earth Executive Director Andy Atkins blogged about his experience of a meat free month here: http://www.foe.co.uk/green-blog/meat-free-january-my-veggie-journey and here: http://www.foe.co.uk/green-blog/meat-free-i-m-loving-it
- You can learn more about the environment impacts of livestock production here: http://www.foeeurope.org/meat-atlas and overfishing here: http://www.msc.org/healthy-oceans/the-oceans-today